Thursday, June 23, 2011

Forsaken World First Impressions

With steam's new list of F2P games, I decided to give Perfect World Entertainment's Forsaken World a try. The game runs smoothly on my computer, but it is interesting that you can toggle certain things to help in crowded areas. Much like in Vindictus, you can choose not to view other players or their pets if you have problems in capital cities.



Before even creating, I'd like to warn about deleting a character: it takes 7 days. So if you are first making lots of characters to be able to read the skills like I do, use crappy names, and just when you make your choice use one that you like, since the character waiting those 7 days will have its named locked.

Character creation has its typical options of colors and designs, with the addition of the "date of birth" detail, giving you the choice to pick a zodiac sign for your character. It makes no difference which ones you pick: the zodiac in the game is a way to pray for hourly rewards, that can be buffs, xp or a material reward. Each hour will belong to a sign, and when it matches your own, chances of better rewards will be a bit bigger. So, in the end, it really doesn't matter.

The races are humans, elves, stoneman, dwarves and kindred (vampires). Each race has some racial skills, but as far as I can tell from this early point in the game, they are always some sort of overpowered AOE attack, so I'd say to pick your race by the looks. These racial skills are powered by Soulforce, which you gain when you defeat monsters, filling up a green bar right by your health and mana.

Dwarf female? No, I am Cattie-Brie 
The only gender lock is about the Stonemen but I will include here the dwarves, even though you can be male or female. And this inclusion is because you actually can't be a DWARF female, you get to be a little cute girl. I personally hate that. The guys get to be the stereotypical round dwarf, but their females are just eternally young and cute, looking like children. I have a problem with that. I don’t mind micro dresses and short shorts on ADULT looking characters, but looking like a child and being an adult with too short of a skirt does not go good with me. By the way, Rift made the cutest female dwarves so far, it is possible without being skinny and young, promisse!

I've played through 3 different tutorials, and they pretty much show you the basics of gameplay and an idea of how your solo experience will be: kill 10 rats quests and pick up items quests. Quest text is a little painful to me, since the color of the text is kinda light against a not very eye friendly background. Could be just me. As for the quality of text, I personaly see that the english version was not translated by a native of the english language. There are no grammar errors, but weird ways to use certain expressions. Also, I've found some quests where it seemed that the text didn't fit, and parts are missing. The story is nothing too amazing, but it has its weird moments that keep me reading it.

A point that I love about the quests is that its items get their own bag. I hope all games with quest items copy this one day. Lotro has it in an even better way, that you don't even see the quest item if it is not an readable one. So big thumbs up about that!

The achievement system comes with a lot of game story and collectibles. Or maybe I confused the two. So far I have only played the tutorials and done some quests around the main city, and the achievements/collections get completed without much thought or search.



You don't really need to think about moving, either. I admit it is pure lazy, and kinda weird, but you can auto-route directly to where you have to go. As quests get listed on your right side of the screen, you can simply look for where you have to go, conveniently highlighted in green, click, and go get a drink, talk on the phone or continue doing your nails. I recall Shayia having something like that, maybe Perfect World too, but I can't be certain. I actually like it, but feel so lazy about it. It might get boring later on, but at least I can read while I move right now.

And there are lots of things to read, by the way. The achievements provide the stories as I've mentioned before, and the game also has an encyclopedia, earned after some initial quests, which will answer some basic game questions.

Right at the beginning, you are given a guide that will tell you of some dailies that can be done as a low level character, as well as some daily dungeons. Also, the game has many daily events going on that I couldn't go check yet, but it is good to know that the game is trying to provide lots of things to occupy the players that get bored fast.

Setting up shop and auction houses are both present, which makes me recall a discussion about such options on the Tera's boards. Personally, I like the presence of both, it is nice to enter a town and have all these shops to check. It can be annoying on computer performance and make a clutter in towns too though. Guess it is the nostalgia kicking in from back when I played Ragnarok Online, and Prontera was just filled with shops on all possible corners.

Also from the starting quests you will be given your first combat pet. So all character, no matter your class, will have a little buddy to help in killing. If pets annoy you, just don't summon it. This first quest lets you pick among three, which made me recall playing Pokemon on the Gameboy systems. It is either a wolf, a turtle or a sheep. The quest is repeatable, so you can have all of them in the end, but at least at this point in the game, there are only 2 pet slots available. Pets need to be feed and you can interact with them a little. Didn't really do much about them, so I am unsure what else is possible.
Jobs (crafting) has a point system, and you assign these points gained from doing the "main questline" into which professions you'd like to learn. And there are 15! Every 10 levels you unlock a row of them, and the initial tutorial quests incentive you to get all the first 3 ones available, which is what I did on my first character. Gathering is a typical map track, click to gather it style, with Alchemy and Cooking needing a set of ingredients and a progression bar.

In a first view, the game is entertaining, even though it doesn't bring any groundbreaking news to MMOs. I do have a weak spot for beautiful robes though, and admit: part of the reason I abandoned WoW and my priest in that game was the fact that I looked hideous on my raid and PvE gear. Their stubbornness to not add cosmetic slots and their weird art direction just upset me. So I am more than happy to see games like Forsaken World are doing beautifully with the looks of the character robes.

As for the gameplay, Forsaken World is what I call an "in the mood to kill and repeat" kind of game, and I do get that kind of mood sometimes, so I'll probably keep it and learn a bit more about it in the next weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment