Friday, July 22, 2011

Wow, it's WoW in Brazil!

Blizzard finally decided to recognize in a better way its Brazilian custumers of World of Warcraft. While we (omg look at me including myself there) already had a huge presense within the game, paying in dollars and dealing with international latency, now everything became much easier.

Starcraft had been translated and published in Brazil, and Blizzard stopped there, until last year when Starcraft II was launched world wide, which included Brazil. Now World of Warcraft with a fully translated game and support in brazilian portuguese is arriving, and those too shy to try their rusted high school english to interact with the community won't have that obstacle anymore. Not that it was too much of a obstacle. Brazilian players are quite popular (mostly in a bad way) for screaming in world channels asking for "br?" so as to cluster with its fellow brazilians.


A quest translated. Picture from Blizzard's announcement.

What else is great? Server transfers from the US servers to the new Brazilian ones will be free for a temporary time. Which also means that Warsong-US will be a ghost town sometime soon.

But there is more! They are charging R$15, which is the LOCAL currency, which is, of today, around $9 dollars, and even less in euros. So no more paying R$30 for american lag and no support in the local language!

Negative side? They translated NPC names and cities, which makes it all sound horribly alien if you have played the game in english. Some translations feel unecessary, specially the NPC names. I wonder what they did with the voice acting. Some are cheering for it to be in Portugal's portuguese, just for the kicks in their funny accent (sorry folks, but it IS an adorable accent).



And what does this mean to me? Well, I don't think I'll be transfering, first because I am not playing at the moment, and second because well, my guild is american. 

There is a tricky 3rd reason, which is the fact that brazilians are a rough crowd. I don't really know how to explain that. Let's say that our trolls are more direct and impatient, going for cussing and rage quitting rather then drama and passive agressive remarks. If Sam referred to the internet as a "wild west"... when there are too many brazilians together, I'd call it more like a "Mad Max" kind of setting.

But like in any rough community, good groups can emerge. And now I am thinking of who knows, maybe transfer at least a few characters over there, just to be with my brazilian friends.

I am excited about this, because it would be a huge and good difference in game-play if I was still in Brazil. Lower price and lower ping! I have quite some memories of how difficult it was baaaack in the daaaay, trying to heal Karazhan, with 1k lag and raid leaders with difficult american accents. Which leads me to share this: "back up" was a direction that made me freeze back then. "Does he mean to go back up or to stop? Where do I go??". So yeah, the game being in portuguese and the brazilian community together in its own server might be for the best :)

Some other big games are already present in Brazil, such as Ragnarok Online and Perfect World, both fully in Brazilian Portuguese, but the publisher is not as direct as what Blizzard is doing, it is through some other company, with indirect customer service. Hopefully more companies are already targeting Brazil, and other "out of the dollar and euro range" countries south of the equator line to spread their servers and services.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your words about brazilian trolls, Carol. They tend to be perfectionists, without being perfect themselves. It'll be a PITA to live in a Warsong-ish world once again...
    But it'll be great to play with a <100ms latency (being optimistic). Maybe I'll be able to raid again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen the German version of WoW translates the names, too. It's understandable, since things like "Stormwind" aren't supposed to sound exotic, but should conjure specific imagery based on the meaning of the compound. But I can see why it would be confusing when everyone calls the cities and entities by different names in different languages. (And "Ventobravo" actually sounds pretty funny to me as a name for a city.)

    ReplyDelete

Age of Wonders III

This month I decided to play through the Age of Wonders campaigns again while waiting on Sim City. Progress was going well and I was having ...